SMU Huskies

Huskies advance to semi-finals

Huskies advance to semi-finals

(Halifax, NS) In game three of the AUS women's hockey quarter finals, the Saint Mary's Huskies hosted the Université de Moncton Aigles Bleues at the civic. After a tight fought game, the Huskies won 1-0 after a goal midway through the third period.


Both teams came out prepared for a physical game. The first period wasn't a fast skating game won with speed, but instead won in battles along the boards and in the neutral zone.


Siobhan Birch (Mississauga, ON) of Saint Mary's was firing every puck on net and had a scoring chance with thirteen minutes to go with a bouncing puck in front of the Moncton net, but goalie Audrey Berthiaume (St-Bruno, QC) was able to smother the rebound.


The Aigles Bleues took two late penalties for a delay of game and a slash. Berthiaume, however, shut down every Huskies power play opportunity and the period ended scoreless, with the Huskies taking an edge in shots 10-2.


The second period opened up a bit, leading to more room for odd numbered rushes. This time it was the Aigles Bleues who had two power plays, and although they used shots from the point effectively and hit the crossbar, courtesy of Katryne Villeneuve (Casselman, ON), they were unable to score on the man advantage.


The Huskies' best chance of the period was a one timer from the high slot from Kiana Wilkinson (Prince George, BC) with just over a minute to go.


The Aigles Bleues outshot the Huskies 7-6 in the second frame, but the teams headed into the third period still tied 0-0.


It was Miranda Hatt (Eastern Passage, NS) who got the only goal of the game. With 9:31 to go, she was on a two on one and sent a wrist shot over the shoulder of Berthiaume and into the top corner of the net to put the Huskies on the board. The goal was assisted by Carly Baker (Newmarket, ON).


Saint Mary's had the momentum after that, with the Aigles Bleues only able to muster two shots in the final period. Moncton pulled their goalie with two minutes to go but couldn't find the equalizing goal as time ran out and the Huskies won 1-0, ending the Aigles Bleues' season.


The Subway Player of the Game for Moncton was Katryne Villeneuve, and for Saint Mary's, Miranda Hatt.


The Huskies will go on to face the StFX X-Women in the semi-finals of the AUS playoffs.  Schedule will be released soon.


Sarah Moore, SMU

Nick Pearce, Photo