SMU Huskies

Huskies drop 3-2 decision to Tommies

Huskies drop 3-2 decision to Tommies

(Halifax, NS) In AUS women's hockey, the St. Thomas Tommies left with a 3-2 win over the Saint Mary's Huskies in their last meeting of the regular season this Friday at the Halifax Civic Centre.


The Huskies took an early lead in the first period with a heads up play from Laura Horwood (Grandfalls-Windsor, NL) who intercepted a regroup pass at the Tommies' blue line and jumped past the defence. Her shot was saved by Taylor Cook (Brandord, ON), but Sydney England (Chamcook, BC) was crashing the net and put in the rebound for a 1-0 lead.


Both teams went 0-2 on the power play and the period ended with the Huskies leading 11-5 on the shot clock, and 1-0 on the scoreboard.


A penalty-filled second period made it difficult for either team to get momentum and there were few scoring chances.


The Tommies had an early power play and following that, scored their first goal of the game four minutes in. Coming into the zone with speed, the puck was initially saved but bounced off a Saint Mary's defence and into the back of the net.


Stephanie Ford (Cobourg, ON) got the goal, with the assist going to Kaylee Vader (Sherwood Park, AB).


St. Thomas struck again with five minutes to go with an even strength goal at the end of a string of penalties. With four players a side, Alexandra Woods (Courtice, ON) rushed down the ice on a two on one. She waited and then electing not to pass, wired a wrist shot over the shoulder of goalie Rebecca Clark (Keswick, ON) for an unassisted goal and the lead.


The period ended 2-1 for the Tommies, with shots favouring them seven to the Huskies' three.


The Huskies tied it up four minutes into the third period with an unassisted goal from Mary McDonald (Calgary, AB). On a two on one, she came into the zone down the left wing and her wrist shot went top shelf.


On the power play with 10 minutes to go, however, the Tommies regained the lead. After working the puck around the zone, Danielle Ring (Saint John, NB) scored from her spot on the half wall. Woods got the assist.


The Huskies couldn't get a quick response as they took another penalty shortly after. They surged late in the period, getting two power plays in the last three minutes and pulling their goalie, but couldn't even the score as the Tommies took this one 3-2.


The Subway Player of the Game, with a goal and an assist, was Alexandra Woods for the Tommies.


Next up, the Huskies play in Moncton on February 2, while the Tommies host Mount Allison on February 3.


Sarah Moore, SMU

Photo Nick Pearce