SMU Huskies

Huskies beat Tommies in OT

Huskies beat Tommies in OT


(Halifax, NS) In AUS women's hockey action, the Saint Mary's Huskies hosted the first place St. Thomas Tommies Saturday afternoon at the Halifax Civic Arena. After falling behind in the second period, the Huskies came back to win the game in overtime.


The first period was controlled, with not a ton of chances for either team. It saw STU go 0-2 and SMU 0-1 on the power play.


The best chance of the period came from Miranda Hatt (Eastern Passage, NS) for the Huskies. Forechecking on the penalty kill, she intercepted a pass from goalie Abby Clarke (Springdale, NL) who had come out of her net to play the puck. Hatt had a wide-open net to shoot at, but a STU defender got her stick in the lane and deflected the shot high.


The first period ended 0-0, with the Huskies taking the edge on the shot clock 6-4.


In the second period, the Tommies had several minutes of good pressure, as they got in passing lanes and creating chances off of turnovers, including a shot that hit the post from Alexandra Woods (Courtice, ON). They opened the scoring at 9:04.


Becky Conner (East St. Paul, MB) sent a wrist shot that beat Huskies goalie Rebecca Clark (Keswick, ON) short side under her glove. Stephanie Ford (Cobourg, ON) had the assist.


The Huskies had some late chances, especially with shots from the point from Kiana Wilkinson (Prince George, BC) and Kaitlin Howarth (Thunder Bay, ON) in particular, but couldn't find the equalizer.


The second period ended 1-0 for the Tommies.


Saint Mary's tied it up at 3:42 in the final frame. Mary McDonald (Calgary, AB) walked in front and with traffic in front of the net, ripped a wrist shot high off the post and in. Caleigh Meraw (Red Deer, AB) assisted.


The Huskies dominated the rest of the action-filled period, having a couple late power plays and multiple quality scoring chances while limiting the Tommies to only three shots.


Outstanding goaltending, however, from Clarke kept the game tied and headed to overtime.


In the last minute of overtime, it was Shae Demale (Red Deer, AB) who found the back of the net for the Huskies. Cutting through the slot, her her low shot went far corner on Clarke to give the Huskies a 2-1 win.


With the game winning goal, Demale was named the Subway Player of the Game.


Next up, the Huskies host UNB on Sunday, while the Tommies have a home game against Moncton on January 25.


Sarah Moore for SMU

Photo Nick Pearce