- Name: Alex Black
- School: Saint Mary's University
- Sport: Men's soccer
- Position: Striker / Winger
- Year of eligibility: 3rd
- Program: Commerce
- Hometown: Halifax, N.S.
1. What attracted you to Saint Mary's University?
There were a few factors on what attracted me to go to Saint Mary's – it is a school known for its business program, and adding to that the school isn't too far from home. I also grew up in Halifax, and liked the idea of being coached by Mesut Mert, who I've known for years in the Halifax soccer community.
2. What's your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
My favourite memory was scoring my first SMU goal against Memorial in St John's, N.L. My greatest athletic achievement to date, is probably having the responsibility of being the captain of my team.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
I am hoping to travel around Europe and South America while having a good paying job in marketing.
4. Who's had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
Greatest influence I can easily say are my mom and dad. When I was younger they would never let me miss a practice or game and make sure I was always on time. They still support me to this day by coming to all my games home or away, so I owe it all to them.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you'd love to have dinner with? Why?
Most soccer fans' first choices would be either Messi or Ronaldo, but I'd love to meet my Chelsea FC boy Eden Hazard. He's one of the best wingers in the world and is hilarious so having a dinner with him would be an amazing experience.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
I wouldn't say I have much of a pre-game ritual as much as I zone into my music and start thinking/preparing for the game.
7. What's your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
I'd say my go-to song right now is "Oh Me Oh My" by DJ Snake, or really anything by Travis Scott.
8. What's your favourite social media account to follow?
Daquan on Instagram posts some really funny videos and memes on it. I suggest checking it out if you haven't heard of it.
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
Think it would have to be basketball. When I was younger I used to play for Halifax Osprey and later on West End Steelers for a few years but once I got into junior high I started to focus on my soccer. I loved playing basketball when I was younger, because I was one of the fastest on the court.
10. What's the most embarrassing thing that's happened to you as an athlete?
In my rookie year when I was in charge of carrying our jerseys on and off our plane to play Memorial in St John's, we got to our hotel and I remembered I left all our jerseys at the airport.