SMU Huskies

UNB Reds top Huskies 5-1

UNB Reds top Huskies 5-1

Halifax,NS) The Saint Mary's Huskies hosted the University of New Brunswick Red's in Saturday night AUS men's hockey action. After a scoreless first period, the Reds out skated the Huskies to a 5-1 win.


Playing their second game in as many days, it took a few minutes for the Huskies to find their legs. Mainly chipping and chasing the puck, they didn't get their first shot on net until Dawson Theede (Brooklin, ON) sent the puck in from a wide angle with about 11 minutes to go.


The Reds, on the other hand, had lots of jump early. Mark Rassell (Calgary, AB) had a good scoring opportunity off of a rebound from a wraparound attempt from Alexandre Goulet (Disraeli, QC); several minutes later Tyler Boland (St. John's, NL) rang one off the crossbar after a giveaway in the slot on the Huskies' breakout.


The first period ended scoreless, with UNB taking the edge in shots 9-6.


The Reds opened the scoring with nine minutes left in the second period. After a battle behind the net, the puck popped out to just above the goal line for a sharp angle shot by Ben Hawerchuk (King City, ON) that beat goalie Eric Brassard (St. Hubert, QC) short side.


UNB added two more goals late in the period to make a substantial lead. With a minute and a half to go, a three on two rush saw a nice passing play end with a one timer from Mark Simpson (Rothesay, NB) getting in the back of the net. Hawerchuk and Goulet got the assists.


Forty seconds later, Matthew Boucher (Quebec, QC) came into the Huskies' zone down the right wing before dishing the puck to Rassell, who was heading with speed to the far post. He had a step on his defender and put a shot high over Brassard's blocker. Samuel Dove-McFalls (Montreal, QC) also assisted on the Reds' third unanswered goal.


Shots in the second period went in the Reds' favor 13-6 as they entered the final frame with a 3-0 lead.


The Huskies got onto the board early in the third period. On the power play, a shot from the point from Stephen Johnson (Moncton, NB) was saved by goalie Ryan Parenteau (Saskatoon, SK), but Keith Getson (Bridgewater, NS) put in the rebound. Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) also assisted on the goal.


The Reds were quick to respond, however, scoring about a minute later. A shot from the half wall from Matt Murphy (Woodstock, NB) squeaked in short side off the post. It was assisted by Goulet and Hawerchuk.


UNB added a fifth goal with seven minutes left in the game. A sharp angle shot from Kris Bennett (Brampton, ON) was saved by Brassard, but the rebound was picked up by Goulet and he flipped the puck up on his backhand into the net. Boland also got an assist on the goal.


The Huskies seemed to run out of steam in the third period, getting only three shots on net as they took the 5-1 loss.

The Subway Player of the Game was Ben Hawerchuk, who had a goal and two assists in UNB's win. Alexandre Goulet, with the same point tally, and Saint Mary's' Keith Getson picked up honorable mentions.


The Huskies host StFX on February 7th and the Reds host UPEI in upcoming hockey action.


Sarah Moore, SMU

Photo Nick Pearce