SMU Huskies

Johnson scores OT winner over UdeM

Johnson scores OT winner over UdeM

(Halifax, NS) In AUS men's hockey action, the Saint Mary's Huskies hosted the Université de Moncton Aigles Bleus and it took overtime to decide the match, with the Huskies getting the win by a score of 3-2.


The home team got off to a quick start, with Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) hitting the post on a breakaway after a turnover in the neutral zone less than two minutes into the game.


The teams traded power plays and then the Huskies, again on the man advantage with five minutes to go, opened the scoring.   Repaci stopped a clearing attempt by the Aigles Bleus and the puck went to Nick Welsh (Halifax, NS) at the point. Welsh passed to Keith Getson (Bridgewater, NS), left unguarded at the front of the net, who made a nice deke and tucked the puck five hole on goalie Étienne Montpetit (Valleyfield, QC).

The Huskies led 1-0 after the first period.

It didn't take long for the Aigles Bleus to get on the board in the second period. Just six seconds in, Éduard Michaud (Sherbrooke, QC) netted a goal on a two on one with Vincent Deslauriers (Blainville, QC).

Some odd man rushes gave the Huskies momentum, however, and they pulled ahead again. On a three on two, Mitchell Balmas (Sydney, NS) got his first goal of the season as he sent a beautiful shot past the glove of Montpetit. Keith Getson (Bridgewater, NS) got an assist on the play.


With five minutes to go, Noah Zilbert (Fredericton, NB) took a slashing penalty at Moncton's net after the whistle led to a full-line skirmish. After all the penalties were distributed, it was UdeM on the power play. Saint Mary's blocked several shots from the visiting team as the score stayed 2-1, but after that the game became increasingly rough and a bit chippy.

Going into the third period, the Aigles-Bleus once again got an early goal. Left alone at the point, Vincent Lanoue (Repentigny, QC) had tons of time to walk in and with traffic in front of the net screening goalie Eric Brassard (St Hubert, QC), he was able to put a low shot into the corner of the net.

Shots in the third period were 16-7 in the Huskies' favor, as they had several scoring chances, but regulation ended with the scoreboard reading 2-2.

On a power play about a minute into overtime, Welsh blocked a clearing attempt and sent the puck on net. Stephen Johnson (Moncton, NB) stuffed home the rebound to get the win for the Huskies. With the game winning goal, he was awarded the Subway Player of the Game.


The Huskies host the Tigers on Homecoming weekend on October 5th at 7 p.m. at the  Dauphinee Centre, while the Aigles Bleus travel to Antigonish to play the StFX X-Men on 5th as well.


Sarah Moore, SMU Communications

Photo Nick Pearce