SMU Huskies

Garlent goal in OT gives SMU 4-3 win over UdeM

Garlent goal in OT gives SMU 4-3 win over UdeM

(Halifax, NS) – In midweek AUS hockey action, l'Université de Moncton Aigles Bleus visited the Saint Mary's Huskies at the Halifax Forum. It took extra time to find a winner in this one, but not much of it, as the Huskies came away with a 4-3 victory.


It didn't take long for the action to begin in this one, as l'Aigles Bleus were able to get on the board just over a minute into the game. Cycling the puck in deep, it came out to Danick Emond (Terrebonne, QC) at the point who sent in a hard wrister that was deflected in front by Ryan Chiasson (Dieppe, NB) over the shoulder of Eric Brassard (St. Hubert, QC) to open the scoring.


Brassard was tested plenty in the early goings, as the first penalty allowed them to test out his glove hand, but Brassard stood tall throughout the period.


The Huskies were finally able to establish an offensive presence midway through the period, holding long stretches of pressure in the attacking end, and it payed off for them. Calder Brooks (Emerald Park, SK) sent a great neutral-zone pass up to Aaron Berisha (Mississauga, ON) who was able to split the Moncton defenders and go in on a partial break. Berisha faked to the right, and shifted to the backhand and was able to calmly slide the puck past Étienne Montpetit (Valleyfield, QC) to make it 1-1.


And that's the way the teams went into the first intermission.


This time it was the Huskies turn to get off to a quick start in the period, just four minutes in Hunter Garlent (Thorold, ON) was able to walk the puck out from the corner and from a nearly impossible angle he wired his shot over the shoulder of Montpetit to take a 2-1 lead.


UdeM were able to answer back almost immediately however, with Edouard Michaud breaking in on a 2-on-1. Michaud elected to keep the puck for himself and he worked across the slot from left to right and waited on Brassard to make a move before lifting the puck just over the pad.


On a great steal in the neutral zone, Vincent Deslauriers (Blainville, QC) broke into the zone all alone and made a nearly identical move to Michaud as he crossed up Brassard to make it 3-2 for Moncton.


The Huskies showed moments of great pressure in the period, but turnovers were an issue as they gave up big opportunities on the other end.


After the quick start to the period, the teams went into the third with Moncton leading 3-2.


Both teams held stretches of pressure at the start of the period, but the Huskies showed urgency midway through.


On a great breakout play, Garlent was able to secure the puck at the attacking half-boards, and as the Moncton defender dove to block the pass, Garlent found Dylan DiPerna (Nobleton, ON) cross-crease and he sent the redirect off the post and in to tie it up in the third.


The period had a cautious finish as neither team wanted to give up the big play. L'Aigles Bleus were able to generate a few odd-man rushes toward the end of the period, but this one needed extra time to find a winner.


On the Huskies first possession of the overtime frame, Hunter Garlent carried the puck across the line with speed and shot a hard wrister from the right faceoff dot that completely froze Montpetit who was far out of his crease to cut down the angle and Garlent secured the win for the Huskies.


With a three-point outing, including the game winner, Hunter Garlent was the clear choice for the Subway Player of the game in the victory.


The Huskies won't have long to wait as they look to keep their win streak going when they travel to play Acadia on Friday. Moncton will also take on Acadia in their next game as they host them on Saturday.


Kirk Jessome for SMU

Photo Nick Pearce