SMU Huskies

Saint Mary's doubles Moncton 4-2

Saint Mary's doubles Moncton 4-2

(Halifax, NS) In AUS men's hockey action, the Saint Mary's Huskies took on the Université de Moncton Aigles Bleus Wednesday night at the Halifax Forum. After a very back and forth game, it was the Huskies who came out with a 4-2 win.


The Huskies got an early lead, with their first goal coming just a minute past the opening faceoff. A shot from the point from Austyn Hardie (Halifax, NS) led to a bouncing rebound in front of the net. Logan Denoble (Peterborough, ON) got the goal, assisted by Stephen Johnson (Moncton, NB).


Less than a minute later, the Huskies struck again. Johnson forced a turnover just outside the Moncton blue line. Dawson Theede (Brooklin, ON) jumped on it and passed across the crease to Noah Zilbert (Fredericton, NB) for the goal.


At 8:02 of the first period, the Huskies got their third goal of the game. A low shot from the point from Hardie was tipped around on its way to the net, with Connor McGlynn (Oakville, ON) being the one to put the puck in.


The Aigles Bleus called a time out and Danick Crête (Rigaud, QC), battling at his own blue line, broke free from Theede and forced a two on one on the Huskies, but couldn't get his pass across.


The period ended 3-0 for Saint Mary's.


Moncton started the second frame with more jump, getting a breakaway from Carl Marois (Montmagny, QC) less than a minute in. They scored their first goal of the game on the power play.


After being peppered with shots, SMU goalie Eric Brassard (St. Hubert, QC) ended up beside his net. Édouard Michaud (Sherbrooke, QC) had an open net to to slide his backhand shot from the crease in.


The Aigles Bleus cut the lead to one with seven minutes left in the period. Michaud came down the left wing with speed and wired a wrist shot that beat Brassard high blocker side.


The Huskies added a power play goal in the dying minutes of the period. Off the face off, goalie Étienne Montpetit (Valleyfield, QC) made to clear the puck down the ice, but Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) got in the way and immediately stuffed the puck in the net for a 4-2 Huskies lead to end the second period.


In the third, both teams had opportunities, but with no goals the game became increasingly chippy.


With just under two minutes left, Moncton pulled their goalie and Calder Brooks (Emerald Park, SK) was sent to the to the box. The Aigles Bleus, however, couldn't score in the remaining time as Saint Mary's took the 4-2 win.


The Subway Player of the Game was Stephen Johnson for the Huskies.


Next up, both teams take on Acadia.  The Huskies travel to Wolfville on Saturday and the Aigles Bleus face them on Friday.  


Recap, Sarah Moore, SMU Communications

Photo Nick Pearce